Download all Vimeo videos at once
When I started making programming videos I didn't put too much thought into organizing them. I didn't organize them into directories; I didn't even name them right. My focus was on just getting the next video out.
As you can imagine, this turned into a mess over the two years I've been making videos.
Today I decided to delete everything on my local machine and download my videos from Vimeo.
While you can easily download a video from your Vimeo dashboard, I couldn't find a way of downloading all my videos. So I turned to external help: youtube-dl.
This tool is fantastic. If you haven't starred it yet on GitHub, please do.
Here's what you need to do:
- Install youtube-dl; it works on Linux, Windows & Mac OS.
- Make all your Vimeo videos public and downloadable. You can easily do that by loading all your videos, selecting them, and then editing their privacy options in bulk.
- Open your terminal, navigate to wherever you want to download the videos, and run:
- Profit! The tool will download the raw version of all your public videos.
- Turn your videos back to private.
youtube-dl is amazingly good!